Middle School Summer Reading Assignment
There are 2 parts to your summer work: reading/book jacket and IXL. Students are required to do both parts. This work is for all students entering Grades 6-8.
Part 1: Reading/book jacket
This summer, you are required to read at least one novel and one nonfiction book. You will create a book jacket for one of the books, choosing an image or images to represent the theme or topic of the book. In addition, you are expected to represent the theme or topic of the book. In addition, you are expected to write the book jacket blurb. This should provide the exposition and some of the rising action, but not the climax, so create a cliffhanger that will entice people to consider reading the book.
- Each book must be at least 150 pages long, and the title and author of the book must be shown on the cover, along with your first and last name.
- The illustration must be handmade (feel free to be creative) on white printer or construction paper
- 25 points for effort (neatness, color, detail all show effort)
- 25 points for theme or topic , as related to the blurb
- The blurb should be 75-100 words long and printed, not handwritten.
- 25 points for clarity and flow of the writing
- 25 points grammar, punctuation, sentence structure
- The assignment is due on Friday, September 1, 2023.
Part 2: IXL
Students entering Grades 6-8 are expected to devote a minimum of 2 hours to IXL Language Arts in the grade they are entering in the 2023-2024 school year. If you are entering Grade 7, choose the activities in 7th grade.
- Students can choose from the Grammar and Mechanics or the Vocabulary sections. You can choose any activities in Grammar and Mechanics, and for the vocabulary section, choose from Prefixes and Suffixes, Greek and Latin roots, or Homophones.
- Students' work in IXL will count as a classwoork grade for the first quarter of the 2023-2024 school year. This work is due on the first day of school.