Saint Mary School is committed to academic excellence, a strong faith based education, and a nurturing community environment where students thrive intellectually, spiritually and socially.
Award Winning School
- Recipient of the prestigious National Blue Ribbon School award from the US Department of Education in 2010 - SMS is among the top 50 schools in the nation.
- High standardized test performance earned SMS the Excelsior Award from the Diocese of Bridgeport.
- Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
- Graduates attend and excel at prestigious private and public high schools, and leading colleges throughout the country.
- An exceptional teaching staff ensures a consistent, top-quality education - average tenure is 7 years and 81% hold advanced degrees.
- A rigorous curriculum, which meets or exceeds State Standards, includes language arts, math, science, religion, social studies, technology, foreign language, art, physical education, and music (with an optional band or strings program).
- Teachers set high expectations for learning and growth, and are trained in differentiation to tailor instruction to students who are above or below grade level in a particular subject. Learning specialists are assigned to work with students one-on-one or in small groups.
- A stimulating mathematics curriculum begins in the Elementary School and bridges to a two-tiered placement program in Middle School.
- STEM (science/technology/engineering/math) programs are offered at all grade levels, including activities with NASA for Middle School science programs.
- Students in K-5 learn both French and Spanish. Middle School students choose one language for more intensive study, and also receive Latin instruction.
- Annual learning events such as the States Fair, Colonial Day, Math Fair, Science Fair, Language Expo, and Art Fair allow students to create and present their work to the school community.
- Public speaking is emphasized at all grade levels, with students gaining experience and confidence speaking at First Friday Mass, school assemblies, annual concerts, open houses, and other informal opportunities throughout the year.
- A dedicated technology integrator incorporates computer-based learning across the curriculum, with students learning everything from basic keyboarding to sophisticated online research skills.
- In 2013, a significant investment was made to refresh technology, including a robust wireless network, 30 new Google Chromebooks in the Technology Lab, iPads for every teacher, andst digital projector/Apple TV combinations for the classrooms.
- Middle School students begin iPad based learning program in January 2014.
- Students adhere to a computer-use code of conduct, while a special intranet system ensures safe access to online learning.
- The SMS Preschool encourages social, emotional, physiscal, intellectual, and spiritual growth and development of the child as a whole.
- Loving and caring teachers provide a very nurturing atmosphere where children thrive.
- Preschool children are integrated into the larger SMS school community through special events, assemblies, fairs, and a Buddy Program.
- Full access to all school facilities and programs, including gym, computers, library, art, and music, is available for the Four's and Transitional Kindergarten (TK) progams.
- Flexible schedules are designed to meet the needs of each child. Parents choose from half-day or full-day programs, and select the number of days - two or three day programs for Three's; three, four, or five day programs for Four's. TK is five days.
183 High Ridge Avenue Ridgefield CT 06877 203-438-7288