SMS At a Glance
National Blue Ribbon Award 2010
Excelsior Award 2010
174 K-Grade 8 students
80 Preschool Students
Exceptional teaching talent:
24 Full time teachers and staff
13 part time teachers and staff
Average tenure is 10 years
Open admissions policy:
We admit students of any
race, color, and national
or ethnic origin.
We operate under the
guidelines and policies
of the Diocese of Bridgeport,
and follow their curriculum
We follow the
Ridgefield Public School
calendar, with the
exception of holy days.
Welcome from the Principal
Welcome to Saint Mary School. As part of
this remarkable school community, I count
my blessings every day. Working together
- parents, students, staff and parish alike
- we have built a National Blue Ribbon
School* that combines exceptionally high
academic standards with the strong
spiritual foundations of a Catholic education.
As we prepare the next generation of American leaders, innovators and creators, we are deeply committed to developing the “whole person”, a philosophy with two key foundations:
- Academic excellence: Our success is based upon outstanding teaching, a rigorous core curriculum and a breadth of enriching programs (e.g., world languages, fine arts and music, and an integrated focus on science, technology and math). Despite our success, however, we remain humble and vigilant, constantly exploring ways to grow and adapt to the fast-evolving state-of-the-art in education.
- Catholic faith: Our faith provides essential moral and ethical context for our students. We can, and do, talk about values each and every day. With the guidance and love of God in their hearts, our students become well prepared to make good choices and meet the many challenges of today’s complex world. As they face life’s inevitable ups and downs, their faith will remain the one constant that will sustain them.
We’re exceptionally proud of what we’re building here. Our students are thriving and happy (just ask them!), our families are devoted and engaged, and our staff shines brightly with their love of teaching. Saint Mary School is truly a joyous place. I welcome you to explore this site to learn more about what makes our school so special.
Blessings and peace,
Anna O’Rourke, Principal
* The U.S. Dept. of Education’s National Blue Ribbon Schools Program sets a standard of excellence for all schools striving for the highest levels of achievement. Blue Ribbon schools rank among the top 10% of all public and private schools on nationally-normed tests, as well as meeting other rigorous qualitative criteria.
183 High Ridge Avenue
Ridgefield CT 06877
Welcome to Saint Mary School, a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence, Preschool - Grade 8
Academics for a lifetime… faith for all eternity.